Pet Licensing

Let’s See Some ID!
Pets Don’t Carry Drivers Licenses

Purchasing a Pet License* is Easy!

New or renewal** licenses can be purchased:

Paw print Online: Click here to get a new license and or renew a license online - We also accept donations to the animal shelter that can be made at the same time when purchasing a license. We'll pay your surcharge.
Paw print In person: Bring proof of rabies vaccination and spay/neuter surgery. Licenses must be paid in cash, debit, Visa or MasterCard to the Animal Shelter; or, on Wednesdays and Thursdays, 9a-noon and 1-4p to the County Service Center - North, 916-875-1538.
Paw print By mail: Payment must be made by check. Print and fill out the Animal License application form and mail to: Sacramento County Animal Care and Regulation, 3839 Bradshaw Road, Sacramento CA 95827.
Paw print Through participating veterinarians - List of Veterinarians who sell Sacramento County Animal Licenses
Paw print County Service Centers - Licenses can also be obtained at the County Service Center - North, 3331 Peacekeeper Way, and at the County Service Center - East, 5229-B Hazel Ave (near Madison).
Payment by check or cash* only at the Service Centers. *Beginning January 28, 2013 only checks will be accepted for payments.

City License Graphic.png* To purchase a basic license, the pet owner must provide proof of spay/neuter surgery and current rabies vaccination.

** Renewal licenses can also be automatically deducted through your online bill pay.

  • Contact us at for any of the following:

    Change of address or phone number
    Inactivate a license
    Death of your pet and need to cancel the pet license

    Please include the pet's name and license information.

Pet Licenses Start at $15!
View licensing fees

Benefits of Licensing - What you should know about pet I.D. tags, licensing and collars...  

  • Your pet may be returned to you immediately if lost. If an Animal Control Officer picks up your pet, we will attempt to return it to you before it goes to the shelter, saving impound fees.
  • Your licensed pet will be held at the shelter for a minimum of 10 business days.
  • If your pet is injured, we will contact your personal veterinarian.
  • At the sad time of your pet's death, we can assist with free or low cost services for final arrangements.
  • Many dog parks, apartment complexes and boarding facilities require pets to be licensed.
  • Licensing fees are the shelter's number one source of revenue, allowing us to provide 24/7 services for the animals and people in our communities.
Sacramento County pet licensing tags 

Reduced Unaltered Fee: ($45) Available to competition dogs and cats and does not allow the animal to breed. Any animal that is bred must have a regular unaltered license. Learn more whether your animal meets the requirements for a reduced unaltered license and how to purchase one here. To apply, animal owner must come to the shelter in person.

Service Animal Tags/ Fee Exceptions: Per Title 8, Code 8.24.030, Section M 1, 2, 3. The following are excused from ordinarily applicable license fee requirements, as specified:

  • No fee shall be charged for working dogs that are documented as having been appropriately trained and actively used by law enforcement agencies for law enforcement purposes. 
  •  A fee shall not be levied for any dog license issued for a seeing-eye dog owned by a blind or partially blind person or for any dog duly trained and registered with a training agency to assist a disabled person when such dog is actively used for the purposed trained.
  • Dogs and cats that are certified in writing by a licensed veterinarians as not being suitable subjects for sterilizing due to health or age reason will be assessed the altered license fee. If the animal at a later date is determined by the veterinarian to be suitable for sterilization then the appropriate fee will be assessed.

To obtain a service tag for a service animal, owners must come into the shelter in person. If the animal is a seeing-eye dog or is duly trained and registered with a training agency, no standard license is required to be purchased. All other uses must purchase a license and provide proof of rabies vaccination and spay and/or license certificate, if applicable.   

Got additional questions about licensing your pet? View our pet licensing FAQs...

City Animal Licensing

If you live within the city limits of Rancho Cordova, Elk Grove, Folsom or the City of Sacramento, please see the below links for licensing in your area.