Complaints about noise are often one of the most difficult, and each case is handled a little differently depending upon the situation. Our department can assist you.
- It may take several complaints and/or interactions with your neighbor to see a difference; persistence and patience will be the key to finding a good resolution.
- You can report a barking dog online or call 311.
- Our department will reply in 3-5 business days and review each complaint to begin an investigation.
- You can also contact the Sacramento Mediation Center for private conflict resolution services
Talk to the Dog Owner:
- If possible and you feel comfortable, speak to the dog owner about the noise. Often people are unaware that there is a problem.
- If other neighbors share your concerns, try talking to the dog owner as a group, or sending a letter outlining the neighborhood’s concerns.
- Keep a written log, documenting the times and duration of the barking. This will help your case should you consider civil action against the dog owner.
Tips for dog owners to prevent excessive barking